Electric Fences for Dogs
Electric fences for dogs are a great solution to provide a safe containment area for your pet, while giving you the peace of mind that your dog will stay in your yard. Electric fences work by burying the supplied wire 2-3 inches in the ground. Your dog wears a special receiver collar that works with the fence.
When initially training your dog to use the electric fence, you will set out boundary flags that mark where the wire is buried. When your dog approaches the wire, he or she will receive a static correction, or shock. The correction will deter your dog from approaching the boundary you have set. Most dogs learn to avoid the correction area quickly and within a few weeks will learn to stay within the "safe zone" of the electric fence.
The static correction your dog will receive from his shock collar isn't harmful to your dog. The shock given is exactly like the shock you feel when you touch clothing that has static electricity.
There are many different types of electric fences for dogs. There are wired and wireless fences, as well as fences designed for outdoor or indoor use. The type of electric fence you choose will depend on your situation and how large of an area you wish to contain.
Benefits of Electric Fences:
- Harmless and safe, yet effective, in keeping your dog in the yard
- Contains your dog without ruining the landscape the way a traditional fence might
- In most cases, less expensive than a traditional fence
- The transmitter and collar can be taken with you when you move - just reinstall the wire at your new home
Cons of Electric Fences :
- Proper training of your dog is required, which takes time and patience
- Some dogs will not be deterred by the correction
- Burying the wire is time consuming
- Wire can break and it can be difficult to find the break
In many cases where a traditional chain link or other fence isn't desired or a possible, electric fences for dogs can provide a great way to give your dog the freedom he wants without jeopardizing his safety. As with all dog training tools, an electric fence isn't an instant solution and will require commitment from you to train your dog to associate the shock correction with the new boundary that he has.
View KT Pet Supply's selection of electric fences for dogs